Monday, September 27, 2010

Transferring...

Sometimes I wonder if I should have chosen a different college. I wonder how different my life would be if I had gone to a school closer to home. Sometimes I think that it would be really nice to be closer to home so I could come home more than four times a year, and people could actually come and visit me without spending hundreds of dollars and dealing with airplanes and whatever. Today, I started looking up random schools that some facebook friends go to and then tried to look at schools with similar programs to what I have now...I found some, and one that actually had something super similar to the program I'm in now, including my minor.

I have considered transferring before, but I know I never will. As much as I gripe on and on about random things about Ithaca (the internet, the weather, etc.), I do like it here. I (mostly) like the people I've met and the classes I'm taking. This year is so far a lot better than last year, especially with the Catholic Community. Last year it felt so clique-y and I felt really awkward standing outside of the group, when I was so used to being in a group I felt so comfortable with. I suppose that's a side effect of being a "first year" in general, but I just didn't feel like I belonged. This year I fell so much more comfortable, especially now that we have a new Lay Campus Minister. I feel like it's a fresh start on so many levels. Coming back to school this year was comforting for the most part, just because I knew that as much as I don't like initial change, I would be okay because I've done this before. I could research other colleges all I want, and sometimes long to be somewhere else where I know people from home, but I would never actually transfer. I couldn't imagine transferring and leaving behind all the friends I've made here who make this place bearable and for the most part really fun. Really, if I could just pick up this campus and (mostly) everyone on it and move it closer to the people back home that I love, I totally would.

If I get into the DC program (I applied and they have my application!), it'll be nice to be close to home for a while, and I have a feeling that it's going to be super difficult to come back. But then I'll remember the feeling that I got when I arrived back on campus for the first time since May and know that I am comfortable here and this is my home away from home (as much as I'm sure my mom and probably my boyfriend don't like hearing that).

No comments:

Post a Comment